Saturday, November 21, 2009

Newton Linchen on OVERTRADING

Newton Linchen , SpecList Author has nailed the issue of OVERTRADING. I take the liberty to post here.

Dear Prof.
Overtrading is the greatest issue for a trader with internet dealing access (home broker).
Really nothing prevents the trader to enter another trade, to his own misfortune.Some time ago (it seems in fact another incarnation!) I can say I was the master of overtrading. Really! My brokerage statement showed up to 25 + "trades" for the day. The results were quite poor.As I developed as a trader, I learnt some key aspects of market behaviour, which allowed me to enter trading in very good trading opportunities.My overtrading stopped completely when, after doing this a thousand times, I asked myself: "wow, I just bought the downtick in the first trade... what were the other 19 for?" "Couldn't I just be quiet with that first entry and enjoy the move?????????"
The breakthrough came remembering Larry Williams approach to day trading: find a spot, enter and hold till the close.In my case, hold till the close doesn't work very well, but I manage to discover key levels where to scale out the position - now doing just one or at tops two trades per day!
The real point of overtrading, I realized, is that intraday charts has much NOISE - and this NOISE gets you out of the trade if you are:a. Following price action tick by tickb. Using moving averagesThe fix I use was to identify entry and target points, so, once the trade is begun, I minimize (yes, shut down!) the trading screen and put alarms to the price levels (stop and targets) - and then go play chess with my work colleagues, so that we are not shaken out of our position by market noise.Once the alarm rings, (I just love Nelogica!), we see whether we were stopped or profitable.With this simple solution our ration fell to one, two trades a day, and our sharpe ratio is in the vicinity of 5.
Regards from Brazil,
Newton Paulo Linchen.
November 21, 2009 3:59 AM

No comments:

Market Structure differences 2010 Vs 2020

Some of the changes I have observed in Market structure in 2020 compared to around 2010 Huge increase in trading Volumes Predominant ...