Thursday, August 6, 2009

Random Thoughts on 6 th Aug



  1. " As expected/ As predicted " is one of the most frequent phrase used in analyst comments/ Media reports. But Market movement is probabilistic involving both luck and skill. Only in hindsight we attribute market success to the competence of the trader. Read NNTaleb's Scandal of Prediction.

  2. When I am working with TCSS as equity research analyst one of my tasks is to prepare a Daily Report in the morning which is a combo of Previous day's activities, Today's forecast. This is where I used to have a bit of dissonance later when I look at the market as a trader. I felt some conflict between my stated opinions in the report and need for time decisions in the market.

  3. My recollection of Taleb's ideas such as " Scandal of Prediction " used to trouble me in forecasting.

  4. When you trade a stock on both long and short side, you get to know the stock's significant intraday levels. This levels can be used for next day. This I have observed in ABAN's case. The level of 1200 proved to be a good resistance and stock behavior is with less conviction. Laboured pullback to around 1198 yesterday convinced me to short on the open for 2% down move.

  5. I tried to trade metals weakness via Tata Steel and the fund raising plans also helped me on the short side. But for risk management purposes, I have quickly closed the trade.

No comments:

Market Structure differences 2010 Vs 2020

Some of the changes I have observed in Market structure in 2020 compared to around 2010 Huge increase in trading Volumes Predominant ...