Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Insider Trading and Research


For a brief period I have worked as a Equity Research analyst in the sell side for a Brokerage House. Some of my Observations are



  1. This is relevant in the context of allegations of insider trading by Galleon Hedge fund managed by Raj Rajaratnam.

  2. Information is the most precious commodity in Dalal Street or Wall street.

  3. Infact Satyajit Das mentions in his interesting book " Traders , Guns and Money " how Brokers at BSE wonder about maing money without previeliged information.

  4. In my experience what is most important for the analyst is his contacts with company managers and excutives. Networking abilities were found to be more in demand than analytical abilities.

  5. Because only incremental information affects the stock prices what is not discounted is valuable to the analyst.

1 comment:

trader said...

NamastĂȘ

Indeed network is a must.

It reminds me a Peter Lynch quote:

"When I talk to a company that tells me the last analyst showed up three years ago, I can hardly contain my enthusiasm."

Market Structure differences 2010 Vs 2020

Some of the changes I have observed in Market structure in 2020 compared to around 2010 Huge increase in trading Volumes Predominant ...