Saturday, October 24, 2009

Notes on Insider trading



These are further observations on Insider trading.
Add Image


  1. In depth post on Insider Trading

  2. I held a view earlier that Insider trading improves price discovery and infact compiled an article for Analyst magazine of ICFAI way back in 1996.

  3. Now I lean toward Prof . Gordon Haave's point of losing an edge to insiders.

  4. Insider trading is so rampant and considered as common place like corruption in Markets like India, many market players are not surprised about it.

  5. Average players should take care not to foray beyond well covered stocks ( Nifty Junior), where there may be risk of Insider trading and pump and dump schemes.

  6. I have seen traders taking pride on their inside info and connections to operators in a stock as their edge and source of folowership.

  7. Retail traders I discuss with cannot digest the futility of trying to gain inside info and the wisdom of concentrating on liquid and index stocks basing their views on market generated data.

  8. Rampant trading by promoters of small companies through fronts and benami names are not considered as a surprise in emerging markets like India.

  9. Broker-Promoter nexus before fund raising, creeping acquisitions,major corporate announcements,squeezes are well documented in India.

2 comments:

trader said...

Nice post!

Insider trading is what made me turn my trading activity to index futures and to market microestructure. I don't depend on large moves to make money. I really don't care were the car is going - and what car is, who is the driver, etc - for I'm trading on its mechanics, it's engine, it's structure.

For example, my day target is 30% of the day's bar range. Achievable and reliable.

Regards from Brazil!

Newton Paulo Linchen

Gangineni Dhananjhay said...

Dear Newton,

I really liked your objective of aiming for 30% of day's bar range.Beautiful way of approaching the market with a scientific reference frame.

Market Structure differences 2010 Vs 2020

Some of the changes I have observed in Market structure in 2020 compared to around 2010 Huge increase in trading Volumes Predominant ...